Affordable and non-polluting energy is an initiative aimed at ensuring access to products that feed the production process and also that do not pollute.
That the world population can have access to energy and that it does not generate pollution, is essential for there to be a sustainability of human activity.
This objective is part of the Sustainable Development agenda (SDG) pursued by the United Nations Development Program.
Causes of the lack of affordable and clean energy
There are populations that do not have access to energy even to cook their food and therefore depend on the use of wood, charcoal or animal waste such as manure. They unintentionally pollute the environment and put themselves at risk of death from poisoning when they are used as fuel in closed rooms.
Some renewable resources are not equally distributed throughout the world. For example, there are countries with greater or lesser possibilities of having wind, solar, geothermal energy, etc. This makes it difficult for the worldwide accessibility of this type of energy and also complicates the reliability of its use.
Importance of affordable and clean energy
The changes with respect to the increase in pollution on the planet and the consequent climate change, due to dependence on fossil fuels is causing harmful effects at a global level.
- The lack of electricity causes the vulnerable population to travel great distances to find water to meet their needs, especially women and girls.
- Hospitals cannot safely secure vaccines for children in vulnerable populations, as without access to electricity they cannot refrigerate them.
- It is more difficult for companies to be competitive, due to the impossibility of making use of electrical energy.
- Without access to electricity, it is difficult for children and young people to do their homework at night.
- The lack of an appropriate infrastructure prevents accessibility to an efficient energy system, this affects agriculture. This is because it is essential to carry out rudimentary processes to be able to sow and harvest. In other words, it depends exclusively on physical strength, which limits food production.
- Climate change derived from the pollution generated by the extraction, production and use of fossil fuels affects flora and fauna worldwide.
It is because of the above that an important part for economic development is the possibility for the population to access energy supply.
Actions to ensure affordable and clean energy
Achieving this objective represents an important challenge, which requires great efforts and commitments both nationally and internationally from companies, governments and citizens. The most significant actions are listed below.
- Increase the renewable energy production capacity that reduces production costs and translates into greater competitiveness in the face of non-renewable energy production.
- Invest in the development of technologies and infrastructure that allow an increase in the consumption of renewable energies.
- The use of renewable energy supposes a commitment of citizens to favor the use of energies that do not generate environmental pollution, for the future. Therefore, it is necessary to sensitize it so that it prefers to consume energy from renewable resources.
- In order to reduce the profitability of fossil fuels, taxes for polluting are increased. Seeking in turn that more companies prefer the use of energies that do not pollute.
- Complement the use of fossil fuels with renewable energies, so that pollution is reduced and the change is gradually made.
- Spread the benefits of energy saving. This in order to engage citizens and companies. For example, turn off the lights that are not in use, prefer to use light-saving bulbs, prefer to use a bicycle for short trips instead of the car or use public transport.