Health and well-being is an initiative focused on meeting the health needs of the world’s population.
With this objective, it is intended to guarantee access to health for all people, to form healthy societies.
This objective is part of the Sustainable Development agenda (SDG) pursued by the United Nations Development Program. And it is scheduled to achieve its fulfillment in the year 2030.
Causes of the lack of health and well-being in the world population
Scientific and technological advances have allowed greater accessibility to the health and well-being of the population. However, full coverage has not yet been achieved. Next, its main causes.
- Big increase in the birth rate.
- Developing countries lack the funds to allocate them to meeting the health care needs of the entire population.
- The lack of gender equality, exclusion or violence poses a risk of contracting diseases such as HIV, malaria, pneumonia, etc.
- Increase in the aging of the population, which has an impact on social security systems, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, lack of mobility and other disabilities related to advanced age.
- Meteorological effects such as floods that promote the spread of diseases transmitted by contaminated water.
- Diseases without medical control such as diabetes, hepatitis or coronary heart disease.
- Ethnic conflicts.
Importance of health and wellness
Given the lack of accessibility of the entire population in the world with regard to health services, it is necessary to analyze the effects this has on the entire population. To measure the importance of achieving this objective. They are listed in a general way below.
- Healthy people are the foundation of healthy economies.
- Guaranteeing coverage in health services is a fundamental component for economic development.
- Eradicating epidemics such as HIV (AIDS), malaria, pneumonia and other diseases reduces contagion in the rest of the world. Which is an important benefit to the population of the entire world.
Actions to achieve the health and wellness goal
The achievement of health and well-being for the entire population is a challenge and to carry it out, it is necessary to formulate and execute a series of actions. The most important ones are listed below.
- Promote investment in scientific research that allows the development of vaccines, in addition to providing access to medicines.
- Reduction of maternal mortality when giving birth, due to the lack of medical attention.
- Improve the accessibility of health services, in order to reduce infant mortality due to lack of access to health services.
- Access to vaccines to avoid diseases such as measles, antiretroviral therapy, etc.
- Ensure the prevention of new pathogenic strains of dengue or cholera.
- Provide information and guarantee access to reproductive health.
- Encourage self-care so that citizens can prevent and protect their own health. To achieve this, it is necessary to inform yourself and make safe decisions about exercising your sexuality, promoting a healthy life with a good diet, weight care, avoiding the consumption of prohibited substances and tobacco consumption, as well as vaccinating your children.
- Being aware of the fulfillment of their governments’ commitments, with regard to health, will allow better accountability in this matter.
- Promote in schools, communities, organizations or health centers, the rights and obligations to care for the health of the entire population and especially the most vulnerable.
- Multisectoral policies, in order to prevent disabilities caused by the transit of means of transport, domestic violence and insecurity.
- Prevent suicide, promoting the balance of coexistence in family, work or school.
- Inclusive programs for migrants.
- Prevention of substance abuse such as narcotics, alcohol or tobacco.
- Train and support the retention of health personnel in developing countries.