The difference between science and technology is that the first studies the phenomena that surround us, while the second applies the knowledge of these to the solution of specific problems.
Therefore, technology uses science as the basis for its development. In this way, science provides the necessary knowledge so that all those technological aspects that make our lives easier can be developed.
In turn, technology allows the advancement of this same science thanks to its methods, which can be used to investigate, experiment and, ultimately, better understand the environment that surrounds us.
Difference between science and technology: origin
Perhaps one of the pillars of science were the Greek philosophers, although we should not confuse science and philosophy. But we can say that the passage from Platonic ideas to Aristotelian experimentation was essential. From here came the seed of what we now call science.
Technology, understood as the creation of inventions or tools, has its antecedents in the stone age. Specifically, in the Neolithic period, with the development of a rudimentary agrarian technique. However, the great advances have occurred, above all, from the second half of the 20th century.
Difference between science and technology: you study and I apply
Let’s see in detail some differences between the two.
- One seeks to know, the other to apply.
- In relation to the phenomena that surround us, science studies them and technology applies scientific knowledge to them.
- Science uses the scientific method, however, technology mostly uses design for the products or services it develops.
- Science is interested in expanding existing knowledge or creating a new one. The technology aims at a new product or service, as well as an improvement on existing ones.
Examples of science and technology
Let’s see, to finish, some examples of science or technology.
- Engineering relies on basic sciences, such as mathematics, to apply its knowledge and improve our lives. Bridges, machines, as well as much of what we enjoy or improve our lives today, in a way, is due to engineers.
- Economics is a social science that improves the environment. Technological applications that seek efficiency or profitability rely on this to develop.
- As a last example, we have physics, considered a natural science. Its practical applications, based on technology, have enabled (among other things) travel into space.
In conclusion, we can say that although there is a clear difference between science and technology, both need each other. That is why they complement each other perfectly.