Communication and information are two widely used concepts and sometimes cause for confusion on the part of users. However they are different. The main difference lies in the fact that communication requires a response to be carried out, while information does not require feedback from the public.
Communication is a process involving two or more users. They exchange data, messages and adopt the position of sender and receiver alternately.
Information is the set of data that has been previously prepared to configure a message. The objective on the part of the sender is to reach the receiver effectively. However, in this case an immediate response or feedback is not required to achieve the proposed objective.
What are the main differences between communication and information?
These are the most prominent:
- The information is intended to publicize data, news or improve knowledge among users. Communication goes a step further, since in addition to transmitting messages, what is intended is that there is an interaction and a pooling for it to take place.
- Communication is a fundamental human need. It is the way you have to convey your emotions, thoughts or doubts, with the aim of reaching agreements that allow you to solve your problems or concerns.
- The information provides knowledge and data in order to obtain more critical thinking when dealing with and talking about certain topics.
- The information must always be up-to-date and be truthful when it is released to the public. On the other hand, with communication, all kinds of issues can be revealed regardless of whether they are novel facts or not.
- Communication is a process that allows human interaction to take place on a constant basis. If two or more people are not involved, it is not possible to carry it out.
- The information is intended to influence the opinions and behavior of the public to whom the message is directed.
- Communication improves social relationships. Its implementation means that norms, rules and agreements are established to be able to live in a balanced and organized way.
Communication and information example
A school has decided to start an entrepreneurship workshop. Students will form groups to create the work requested by the teacher and assimilate the necessary knowledge on the subject.
They will communicate with each other to expose their doubts, knowledge and contribute everything they know about the matter. In this case we would talk about an example of communication.
On the other hand, a newspaper has decided to publish the data of the companies with the highest turnover in a Latin American country. In this case, reference is made to the information, since data is provided that is intended to increase the public’s knowledge.
Furthermore, the newspaper does not need a response to carry out this informational event. However, it is transmitting a message to improve the knowledge about this specific case to the users who will read this news.